'Sturgeon rattled!' Davidson tears into SNP over Salmond probe: 'Must be hiding something'

HomeNews

'Sturgeon rattled!' Davidson tears into SNP over Salmond probe: 'Must be hiding something'

On Thursday afternoon, the Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body (SPCB) ruled a written submission from former Scottish first minister Alex Salmond

Meghan Markle 'must ditch pomp and circumstance' expert warned over Archie birth
Income tax warning: Rishi Sunak urged to make huge hikes – Chancellor 'must look' at rise
Barnier's vision for reformed EU backed by Macron: 'Must accept some move faster!'


On Thursday afternoon, the Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body (SPCB) ruled a written submission from former Scottish first minister Alex Salmond, where he claims Nicola Sturgeon broke the ministerial code, can be published. The Holyrood committee is investigating the Scottish Government’s botched handling of two harassment complaints made against Mr Salmond in 2018. A Court of Session in Edinburgh found the investigation had been unlawful and “tainted by apparent bias”, and Mr Salmond was awarded £512,000 in legal expenses.

On Wednesday evening, MSPs on the Scottish Government Handling of Harassment Complaints Committee, narrowly voted against the publishing Mr Salmond’s submission.

MSPs cited legal concerns over the identity of complainers in a separate criminal trial against Mr Salmond last year, where he was cleared of 13 charges at the High Court in Edinburgh.

The decision by MSPs last night was then referred to the SPCB which ruled the submission by Mr Salmond – which has been redacted – could be published.

The former First Minister is now set to give evidence to MSPs next week.

SNP’s George Adam claimed the people of Scotland would be “utterly bewildered” by the governing body’s decision.

The MSP for Paisley also claimed the SPCB had “ignored clear legal advice” and warned the decision “could jeopardise the court-ordered anonymity of complainants in a sexual offences case”.

Ms Davidson knocked-back the argument from the SNP and accused the party of trying to “shut down scrutiny”.

The Scottish Conservative Holyrood leader added no evidence would ever be published to parliament which could compromise a complainant’s right to remain anonymous.

Ms Davidson said: “This is a bizarre response from the SNP, who are clearly rattled that their attempts to shut down scrutiny are no longer working. Their clear overreaction only confirms in people’s minds that they must have something to hide.

“Nobody is suggesting for a second that information would ever be published jeopardising a complainant’s anonymity.”

She added: “As the ruling party, it is the SNP’s own government who so badly let down women who came forward. It is therefore galling to hear them falsely accuse others of doing the same.

“It was an SNP First Minister [Alex Salmond] accused of sexual misconduct and an SNP Government who botched the investigation. They clearly feel if they throw enough mud at others, people may forget those material facts. They won’t.

Instead, Mr Salmond claimed his former chief of staff Geoff Aberdein had “personally discussed the existence of the complaints, and summarised the substance of the complaints” in a meeting with Ms Sturgeon in Holyrood on March 29.

Following the decision by the Committee this afternoon, a spokesman for Ms Sturgeon said: “The publication of this submission changes nothing as far as the First Minister is concerned, as she has always expected to be questioned on its contents.

“The only frustration is that she has still not had the chance to rebut the claims and conspiracy stories that have been levelled at her – and has lost count of how many times she has agreed to appear before the committee, only for the date to be postponed.”

A Scottish Parliament spokeswoman added: “The Committee notes the decision of the SPCB. Mr Salmond’s submission will now be processed in line with the Committee’s statement on the handling of information, ahead of publication early next week.

“The Committee will be writing to Mr Salmond to invite him to give evidence to the Committee on February 24.”



COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 0
DISQUS: 0