A Moroccan boy stuck deep in a well for several days was successfully pulled out but did not survive.
The 5-year-old boy – who had been stuck in the well for four days – was pulled from the well in the northern village of Ighran in Morocco’s Chefchaouen province, Fox News confirmed, but has died.
Morocco’s King Mohammed VI expressed his condolences to the boy’s parents in a statement released by the palace, according to The Associated Press. The king also thanks the rescuers for their work and the community for support the boy’s family.
LITTLE BOY IN NORTHERN MOROCCO IS STUCK IN A WELL: IS THERE HOPE FOR HIM?
The boy was seen wrapped in a yellow blanket after he emerged from a tunnel that was dug specifically for the rescue, according to an Associated Press reporter at the scene. His parents had been escorted to an ambulance before the boy, Rayan, emerged.
The rescue workers had been frantically digging to try to reach the boy, who was trapped down a 105-foot deep well, officials said Thursday.
WHITE HOUSE RIDES WAVE OF GOOD NEWS AFTER BRUISING SEVERAL MONTHS
Unstable soil threatened the painstaking work of trying to dig the child out safely, The Associated Press reported — and fears grew that time was running out.
Rescuers used a rope to send oxygen and water down to the boy as well as a camera to monitor him.
“It is not possible to determine the child’s condition at all at this time. But we hope to God that the child is alive,” Abdelhadi Temrani, head of the rescue committee, said Saturday morning.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Khalid Agoram, the boy’s father, told a local broadcaster that he had been looking for his son for hours Tuesday before realizing his son had fallen into the well.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.