Los Angeles follow-home robbery suspect arrested after being released from prison days earlier

Date:


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Investigations following a series of follow-home armed robberies in the downtown Los Angeles area have resulted in the arrests of three suspects, including one suspect who has already been arrested three times this year before he was subsequently released back onto the streets and allowed to repeat the alleged crimes.

Matthew Adams, 18, has been detained for a fourth time this year after he allegedly attacked two UCLA students outside a residence, robbing them of two expensive watches and an iPhone totaling over $145,000, the Los Angeles Police Department said in a statement.

Adams is also believed to be in connection with a series of at least four other follow-home armed robberies — where an assailant follows a victim from a public location before attacking them in a more private location — where he and other assailants followed people leaving upscale restaurants and clubs in the Hollywood area, back to their apartments or hotels, police said.

LOS ANGELES ROBBERIES INVOLVING FIREARMS UP 44% AND ARE BECOMING MORE VIOLENT, POLICE CHIEF SAYS

Two other men, Eric Wilson and Jayon Sparks, were also arrested alongside Adams in connection with the same crimes, police said. Several other unidentified suspects remain at large, Fox 11 reported.

In one incident, Adams and an unidentified suspect followed two male victims, who were both visiting from outside the country, from a nightclub back to their hotel rooms. Once at the residence, the suspects robbed the victims of a high-end watch and other property before fleeing the scene. 

In yet another incident later that same week, Adams, Sparks and other assailants followed two men from a nightclub to an area where they were getting food. The suspects then attacked and robbed the victims of a watch, jewelry, and cash before they fled the scene, police said.

Matthew Adams

On March 24, LAPD officers arrested and booked Wilson and Sparks in connection with the robberies and, after Metropolitan Division Officers secured a warrant, officers who searched their apartment found weapons, bullets, and stolen items, they said.

Wilson was charged with one count of possession of a firearm while Sparks was charged with two counts of robbery and one count of possession of a firearm, the LAPD said. 

On March 31, Adams was arrested during a traffic stop and was charged with one felony count of first-degree residential robbery and six counts of second-degree robbery, and two gun enhancements, for crimes committed between Jan. 7 and March 30, police said. 

LOS ANGELES DA GASCON GIVES ‘TIPS’ ON HOW TO AVOID AUTO THIEVES AMID CRIME WAVE

If convicted, the 18-year-old suspect faces over 20 years in state prison, the Los Angeles Police Department said.

Adams’ arrest was particularly notable as he was previously arrested on Jan. 9, Jan. 27, and Feb. 21, and was released each time, before he carried out these additional robberies, the LAPD said.

On Jan. 9, Adams was arrested for his involvement in robbing a high-end jewelry store two days prior. He subsequently posted bond.

Los Angeles Police Department Chief Michel Moore talks during a news conference at LAPD headquarters in Los Angeles.On Tuesday, Moore told police commissioners that homicides have slowed down in January compared to the same period in 2021. 

Los Angeles Police Department Chief Michel Moore talks during a news conference at LAPD headquarters in Los Angeles.On Tuesday, Moore told police commissioners that homicides have slowed down in January compared to the same period in 2021. 
(AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)

On Jan. 27, Adams was arrested and charged with carrying a concealed weapon but was subsequently released.

On Feb. 21, Adams was arrested again for carrying a concealed weapon. He was again released.

LAPD Chief Michel Moore has attributed lenient detainment protocols, which allow repeat offenders to be released back onto the streets, to new policies enacted under Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascón.

Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascon speaks at a press conference, December 8, 2021, in Los Angeles, California. 

Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascon speaks at a press conference, December 8, 2021, in Los Angeles, California. 
(Photo by Robyn Beck / AFP) (Photo by ROBYN BECK/AFP via Getty Images)

Moore has repeatedly called for additional sentencing enhancements, which he says would keep repeat offenders locked up, and renewed these calls during a Police Commission meeting Tuesday.

“Today, we see that the use of enhancements has been sharply curtailed,” the Los Angeles chief said, Patch reported. “I believe that’s inconsistent with the underlying importance of those enhancements as to deterring others from being engaged in serious violent felonies with the use of a firearm.”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

“While I appreciate the filings that have been obtained, I’m disappointed that the full weight of the existing laws and the support of our district attorney and the court to hold this individual responsible and accountable and keep him from the community was missed,” Moore added, according to the report.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

Video from Atlanta police shows Molotov cocktails thrown near officers

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles! ...

1 killed, 1 injured in shooting at Tennessee high school graduation

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles! ...

Anti-aging: Lisa Snowdon's 'gentle' face yoga massage to make her eyes look younger

Lisa Snowdon, 50, uses facial massage to help...